PROJECTS BEING CARRIED OUT BY MALAWI ASSEMBLIES OF GOD CHURCH THROUGH ASSEMBLIES OF GOD CARE (previously known as Assemblies of God Relief and Development Services)
1. Improving Access to Safe Water and Enhanced Hygiene and Sanitation
Aims and Activities of Project
This project, being implemented in 26 communities in Mchinji targeting and 34 communities in Salima, seeks to reduce water and sanitation related diseases through improved access to clean and portable water. Currently, the communities depend on unprotected wells for water. These wells are a source of threat to good human health as well as physical loss of life because of structural inadequacies. The project is also address problems of poor hygiene and sanitation practices which increasingly predispose communities to such outbreaks as cholera. Primary schools are also being targeted.
The major envisaged outcome is reduction of water and sanitation related diseases, reduced child mortality, improved health and education outcomes (due to increased school attendance and high learning potential by girls –they are normally responsible for collecting water) resulting into community members that positively contribute to household, community and national development.
Community members experiencing less drudgery, spending less money and time on the sick resulting in more money and time spent on more productive activities which will elevate their social and economic status.
Some of the activities being conducted are
- mobilizing, and creating awareness, of the villages
- sinking improved and protected shallow wells (18-20m deep) fitted with AFRIDEV pumps
- building capacity of communities to repair and carry out routine maintenance
- encourage communities to set up a fund for procurement of water points spare parts
- formation and training of active Water Point Committees (WPCs) to manage the water points
- training and encouraging communities to drink treated water
- hygiene and sanitation sensitization
- encourage project beneficiaries to properly manage refuse through digging rubbish pits
- promote digging/construction of toilets for each household beneficiary
- promote washing of hands after each toilet use
- conduct sanitation competitions
- training of communities and Village Health Committees
Comments are closed.